Simple Tips to Keep Your Home Safe from Electrical Shocks

Tips For Keeping Your Home Electricity Safe
South East Electrical knows that electricity is a double risk for humans: contact with the body, and fires in case of overheating of circuits or devices, therefore home electrical safety is very important.

Here are the actions and instructions to follow regarding electrical safety in the home : some seem obvious, but do not neglect them, because each year, a hundred deaths are due to electric shocks, and a third of the fires are original electric.

Security at the electrical installation
The electrical risk occurs either by direct contact between the skin and an electric current or by indirect contact when the current passes through a poorly insulated conductive mass.

The hazard is considered to start with 50 VAC.

The best home electrical safety tips are as follows:

Never touch a visibly defective or temporarily out of service installation, for example, a plug whose protective covers have been removed.
Turn off the power before working on the electrical installation. For example, for small electrical work like adding a socket on a stick, or even just to change a bulb (unless it is a lamp that you can unplug).
Limit the use of power strips, so as not to overload the circuits.
If you connect electrical wires (eg to an electrical outlet), check the quality of the connection: the wires should not be too bare (risk of electrification) and on the contrary, the connection should not be made on the part insulating wire.
In damp rooms (bathroom, but also the kitchen, laundry and cellar), redouble vigilance because of projections, puddles, etc. All of these parts must be earthed.

You must also follow security measures at the level of electrical equipment :

When buying, check the presence of the “CE” and “NF” logos, which guarantee that the devices comply with the safety rules in force.
Unplug your electrical appliances (oven, refrigerator, washing machine …) before cleaning.
Do not leave your devices plugged in unnecessarily. Be especially careful with appliances that produce heat, such as an iron or hotplates.
Never leave an extension string plugged in if it is not connected to a device.
Unplug your devices by pulling on the plug, never on its string.
Connect all appliances to a grounded outlet.

Make sure your electrical system is up to date
Among the causes of household fires, there is, of course, the aging of the electrical installation of a house, which can quickly no longer be up to standard.

But the outdated equipment is not the only ones to present risks. Hazardous connections and improper installation or use of electrical devices can also cause disasters.

Sources of electrical fires include:
– cables that are not sufficiently protected (for example partially stripped wires as they are trapped under a device)
– defective appliances
– household appliances connected to the wall socket by an extension of insufficient section (which creates a heating)
– dust and lack of ventilation around the appliances
– Freon leak in freezers and refrigerators

How to secure your installation?

To ensure safety at home, it is recommended to equip yourself with:

1- a differential circuit breaker to automatically turn off the power in the event of a fault
2- a general circuit breaker accessible to cut the power in the house with a single gesture
3- a properly grounded electrical installation
4- earth sockets on each socket of the house
5- an installation complies with the regulations in the rooms of water like the bathroom
6- eclipsing jacks (where toddlers can not introduce their fingers or an object)

Note: if you are a tenant, know that the safety of the electrical installation is the responsibility of the owner and must be performed by a qualified company. The tenant is responsible for maintaining the installation.

1- Always switch off the main circuit breaker before working on the electrical system (even to change a single bulb!)
2- Always unplug an electrical appliance before cleaning
3- Always locate the recessed electrical conduits before drilling a hole in a wall or ceiling
4- avoid as much as possible the power strips and extensions.

Never handle your electrical devices with wet hands or feet in the water. These may all seem like tips that are highly obvious to the average adult or even the average child. You would be very surprised to know that many people kill themselves each year because these things are in fact not common sense and nobody ever told them. It is our duty to make sure to reduce the amount of death based on lack of knowledge about electricity.

Do not place electrical appliances near the bathtub or shower.
If a device causes tingling when you use it, unplug it immediately and have it checked by a professional. South East Electrical encourages kids to learn about safe electrical safety habits in the home.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *